Monday 14 October 2024

Yogyakarta Airport Rail Link

Since 2021 the Indonesian city of Yogyakarta (pronounced Jogjakarta) has enjoyed a direct rail link between the city centre and the cities' equally fairly new airport which is almost 30 miles out of the city centre.  As life took me to Jogja earlier this year I looked forward to using this rail link....

....which is easier said than done.  Using the ticket machine to buy a ticket, I learnt that all trains are advance reservation only and the next train with availability was in three hours' time!

At least I learnt my lesson was able to purchase a ticket on line for my return to the airport the following day!

Waiting room at Yogyakarta station

Yogyakarta station platform crossing

Yogyakarta station

Airport train loading - narrow gauge

Airport train - built in Indonesia


Empty retail units in the station



Boarding

Interior, all reserved seats

Yogya airport station platforms



Train timetable, with implied capacity for extra services!

Entry and exit is via gatelines with barcode readers

Curious collection of lost property on display

Fares are curious: it is 50,000IDR on a direct train but only 20,000IDR on the trains which make one intermediate stop at Yates.

And for anyone wondering here is my reason for visiting Yogyakarta or you could have a meal in a Boeing 737-200!


No comments:

Post a Comment